Monday, November 10, 2008

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

This is another wonderful recipe that I sneak veggies in and the kids have no clue. I do not add the chocolate chips or nuts, I just serve each piece with some whipped cream on top.
This is a hit with kids and adults

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

SERVES 18
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (see easy recipe below so you do not have to buy any)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups flour (I use whole what flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups zucchini, peeled and grated (I use my mini food processor to make it super small and make sure you squeeze any excess water out of the grated zucchini)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts
  1. Cream butter then add oil and sugar; mix.
  2. Add next 8 ingredients; mix well. Fold in the chips and nuts by hand.
  3. Put in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
  4. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until done

Substitute for Buttermilk

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar

Combine ingredients and let stand 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, mix together well and use as buttermilk in any recipe!


No comments: