Friday, November 14, 2008

Who needs Jello pudding??

I bought some Jello brand chocolate pudding to make pudding pie with my kids. Well imagine my surprise when I just happen to look at the box and see Red, Yellow and Blue dye in the ingredients !! Why in the world do they need to put dye's in pudding is beyond me.
So we made homemade pudding...which was even better then Jello brand and was not as hard as I thought.

Creamy Chocolate Pudding
SERVES 3 -4

5 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso or instant coffee (I did not use either and it tasted fine)
2 cups low fat milk (can use regular milk, if desired)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix until combined.
  2. Place mixture in a medium saucepan.
  3. Stir in just enough milk to create a smooth paste.
  4. Gradually mix in remaining milk.
  5. Cook over medium heat and stir slowly and constantly until mixture thickens and starts to boil. Let it boil another 30 seconds or so, gently stirring constantly.
  6. Remove from the heat and gently stir in vanilla.
  7. Pour pudding into 3 or 4 dessert dishes and chill until set, about 4 hours


No comments: