So we made homemade pudding...which was even better then Jello brand and was not as hard as I thought.
Creamy Chocolate Pudding
SERVES 3 -4
5 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso or instant coffee (I did not use either and it tasted fine)
2 cups low fat milk (can use regular milk, if desired)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Place mixture in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in just enough milk to create a smooth paste.
- Gradually mix in remaining milk.
- Cook over medium heat and stir slowly and constantly until mixture thickens and starts to boil. Let it boil another 30 seconds or so, gently stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in vanilla.
- Pour pudding into 3 or 4 dessert dishes and chill until set, about 4 hours