1 cup brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peeled chopped apple (firm apples, such as Granny Smith work best)
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- Spray muffin tins with non stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
- Blend remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing just until barely blended.
- Add apples and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into 12 miffin tins.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly over top of muffins.
- Bake in preheated 325F degree oven for about 20 minutes