Sunday, November 30, 2008

Homemade Donuts

We are working moving to making most of our meals/food from scratch. My kids have been asking for a dunkin donuts for 2 days so I promised them we would make donuts today. I was surprised how easy they were to make and the kids loved them.


Easy Do Donuts

1/3 c. sugar (Iused a bit less since I was doing a glaze with them)
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
2 tbsp. melted shortening (I used 2tbs of oil instead)
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

  1. Combine milk, egg, shortening or oil.
  2. Sift dry ingredients together and add to above.
  3. (I rolled mine out as thin as I could then used a circle cookie cutter to shape and the cap to the oil to cut the hole in the center)
  4. Gently drop donut into hot 365 degree oil and cook til nice and brown
  5. Drain on paper towels.
  6. You can while they are still warm shake in paper bag with confectionery sugar or granulated sugar mixed with cinnamon or I made my own vanilla glaze (recipe below)


Creamy Glaze
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powered sugar (I used a bit less and they were plenty sweet)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 to 6 Tbsp. hot water
Heat butter until melted; Remove from heat. Stir in powered sugar and Vanilla until smooth. Stir in water, 1 tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency.


Chocolate Glaze
1/3 cup butter
2 cups powered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 to 6 Tbsp. hot water
4 oz milk chocolate chips or semi- sweet chips
Heat butter and Chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted; remove from heat. Stir in powered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in water 1 tbsp. at a time, until desired consistency

No comments: