Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My favorite holiday treat

I was at a Christmas party a couple years ago and someone brought these. I could not stop eating them, they were so good. I now usually only make them during Christmas because I can eat the whole tray myself I love them so much

Easy Cracker Candy


24 candies

40 saltines
1-2 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar or packed dark brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)


  1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
  2. Place the crackers side by side in a foil-lined jelly-roll pan (I spray the foil with non-stick spray).
  3. Combine the butter and brown sugar in saucepan.
  4. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Cook for 3 minutes.
  6. Pour the mixture over the crackers.
  7. Bake 5 minutes.
  8. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the baked crackers.
  9. Let stand 5 minutes then spread the melted chocolate over the top.
  10. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
  11. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
  12. Invert onto a flat surface; remove the foil and break into pieces.

Store, covered in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Note: You can skip the chocolate chips- it's still delicious

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I use a 13 x 9 pan instead?

Meghan SSS

Kira said...

I would not use a glass pan as I am not sure if the crackers would crisp/ cook well. Any metal baking tray, no matter what the size should be fine, just keep the crackers close together on the tray

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kira! It was delicious and a big hit at bunco, I'll definitely be making it again.

Meghan

Anonymous said...

I just made this same exact recipe but with graham crackers instead of saltines, and almonds instead of pecans....we call it "almond roca treat".