Friday, February 6, 2009

Homemade Ketchup

Most store bought ketchup's have high fructose corn syrup them and not much else. I finally decided to try making my own which was very easy. This is a very basic recipe. Some recipes add dry mustard and additional spices but I wanted to keep it simple since my son is picky with foods. I may go a bit more creative next time. You can lower or omit the salt if you are following a low sodium diet or even sub splenda for the sugar if you follow a low calorie diet.

Homemade Ketchup

4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 cups water
3/4 cup vinegar
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 teaspoons salt (kosher preferred)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

  1. Place tomato paste in pan and stir till smooth.
  2. Add water little bit at a time while stirring.
  3. Add vinegar same way.
  4. Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat till simmering.
  5. Place into old bottles and cool. Store in fridge.




No comments: