Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cream of Chicken Soup

Sorry for my lack of posts. We have been busy and eating not at home or someone (including me) have been sick. Today since my son and husband are sick I made this for dinner. It was my first time and I really loved the taste of this soup.
I added the cayenne pepper in a separate batch for the adults and it really added a great flavor.



Also I chopped the chopped the carrots, celery and onion in my mini food chopper so my kids would not see the veggies. I would double the recipe for a larger family or just to have some to freeze.

Cream of Chicken Soup
SERVES 4

6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup carrots, chopped fine
1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)



  1. Melt butter in large heavy saucepan.
  2. Add onion, celery,carrot and garlic and saute until soft.
  3. Add flour mixing well.
  4. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Add milk, cream and broth mixing well.
  6. Cook and stir until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
  7. Reduce heat and stir in chicken and remaining seasonings.
  8. Adjust seasonings to taste.
  9. Cook over low heat 2-3 minutes then serve

No comments: