I added the cayenne pepper in a separate batch for the adults and it really added a great flavor.
Also I chopped the chopped the carrots, celery and onion in my mini food chopper so my kids would not see the veggies. I would double the recipe for a larger family or just to have some to freeze.
Cream of Chicken Soup
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup celery, chopped fine
1/4 cup carrots, chopped fine
1/4 cup onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Melt butter in large heavy saucepan.
- Add onion, celery,carrot and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add flour mixing well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk, cream and broth mixing well.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir in chicken and remaining seasonings.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cook over low heat 2-3 minutes then serve