Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

I made these yesterday with the kids for a snack. They were very tasty and all the kids loved them. The only changes I made were using whole wheat flour and I like to use Smuckers Reduced Sugar Strawberry Jam to cut down on any unnecessary extra sugar (my kids have enough energy )

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

· 1 cup flour
· 1 cup rolled oats
· 1/2 cup butter
, softened
· 1/3 cup light brown sugar
, firmly packed
· 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

· 1/8 teaspoon salt

· 3/4 cup strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, mix everything together but the jam.
Measure out 2 cups of this mixture. Leave the rest in the bowl and set aside.
Take the 2 cups of the mixture and press it into the bottom of an 8 inches square pan, coated with cooking spray. Using a large spoon, distribute jam on top of the mixture in the pan. Spread it evenly all over. (I used the squeeze-bottle spread for this and it made this part of the process a lot quicker).
Take the remaining mixture and spread it over the jam. Press down lightly.
Bake 25 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minute before cutting into bars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely cannot believe that you have had this blog since October and did not tell me!!! You are the coolest! I'm going to try these out tonight.

Anonymous said...

I made these over the weekend--YUM!! I do highly recommend letting this cool for a few hours. We dove into them after about 30 minutes and they were really crumbly. They were more firm and easier to cut the next morning. Yes, we ate them the next morning too:)