This is a great dish for the family or even adult company. You can even get it all together in advance and then just pop it in the oven. It looks fancy but is really easy and almost a one pan meal. It can be served over rice.
I also added some mushrooms to my onions when I was cooking them and did not do the almonds this time.
¼ cup butter or margarine
6 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1¼ cups Chardonnay White Wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese
½ cup sliced natural almonds, toasted
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from skillet, put pan aside with the reserve; place chicken in a 2-quart casserole. Set aside.
- Sautee onion and garlic in the pan with the reserve until the onions are tender.
- Add flour , stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add wine and broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly , until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add cream cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over chicken.
TO STORE: Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.TO SERVE AFTER STORING: Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Yield: 4-6 servings