Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sneaking vegetables in

My 4yo son hates all veggies, luckily he likes some fruits but I like him to have some veggies so being the mean mom I sneak them in. He is very picky and will not even try anything that looks or smells weird or may have a different texture. So I consider a recipe a success when he eats it, veggies and all without giving me a hard time. I made these both yesterday and everyone liked them.


Cheesesteak Manicotti


I usually follow a low carb diet but you can also easily make this recipe with pasta shells stuffed with the filling. I also added in some minced zucchini to the recipe. I used my mini food processor to get it small so my son would not noticed it. I also added some garlic power and onion powder, salt and pepper to the cheese filling mix for some more flavor. Served with a tossed salad on the side.


*8 Steak-ums/minute steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of Shredded Mozzarella cheese
*1/3 cup of Parmesan grated cheese
*1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley flakes
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Cup of Tomato Sauce



Preheat oven to 350
Fry up the 8 minute steaks flat and let them drain on paper Towels.
In a medium bowl, combine: Ricotta Cheese, egg, Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Parsley flakes and salt and pepper.
Lay one Steak-um flat. Place about 3 heaping tablespoons of the Filling mixture on one side of the Steak-um. Roll it up.
Place it in a 8X8X2 Glass baking dish.
Repeat until all 8 steak-ums are filled and in the baking dish (you will have leftover filling)
Pour 1 Cup of Tomato Sauce on top of the Casserole.
Cover with Aluminum Foil and bake for about 25 Minutes.
Remove from Oven and let Sit for a few minutes (for the filling to set)
It's now ready to serve





Carrot Pineapple Muffins
Recipe 12 muffins


I use whole wheat flour for this recipe and make them in my muffin top pan. The kids always love them.


1 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated carrots (I chop them in my mini food processor)
1 cup drained crushed pineapple


Stir together sugar and oil.
Stir in the eggs until well combined. Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. (I always used just one bowl for everything, who needs more dishes to clean?)
Stir into sugar mixture just until combined.
Stir in carrots and pineapple just until combined.
Spoon into greased muffin tin, filling to top.
Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a rack to finish cooling


No comments: