Monday, January 5, 2009

Homemade Oatmeal Packets

My kids are oatmeal snobs and would only eat packets of oatmeal. I was so over spending money on the packets because they are not cheap and definitely less healthy then regular 100% whole grain oats.

Well I tested this recipe on my kids and the did not even notice any difference. At first when I added the water I thought it was way too much but mix and let it sit and it will thicken nicely. Next I am going to try overnight oatmeal in the crockpot !!

Notes- After using this recipe for awhile I have made some personal changes. Instead of making mine in baggies I have just been grinding some and putting it in a container and I wrote the recipe right on the lid of my large Quick Oats container. When I need to make a bowl I just put all the ingredients you would normally put in a baggie into the bowl and add hot water. Also I realized my kids like their oatmeal a bit thicker so I have been using 1/2 c of water

Instant Oatmeal Packets
makes 8 bags


3 cups quick cooking oats (must be quick cooking)
1 teaspoon salt (1/8 tsp per bag)
Optional Flavorings
sugar (optional)
cinnamon (optional)
brown sugar (optional)
raisins (optional)
wheat germ (optional)
dried fruit (optional)

  1. Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery.
  2. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats.
  3. If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch.
  4. Put the following ingredients into each small-size zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and 1/8 teaspoons salt.
  5. *Optional: add to each packet additional flavors.
  6. Store in an airtight container.
  7. To serve: Empty packet into a bowl.
  8. Add 3/4 cup boiling water.
  9. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
  10. For thicker oatmeal, use less water – for thinner oatmeal, use more water.

*Optional flavors:.


Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
1 tablespoons sugar.
1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons chopped dried apples.


Sweetened Oatmeal-.
1 tablespoons sugar or 1 packet'Equal' artificial.
sweetener.


Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
1 tablespoons brown sugar 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon.


Oatmeal w/Raisins& Brown Sugar-.
1 tablespoons packed brown sugar 1 tablespoons raisins.


Health Nut Oatmeal-.
2 tablespoons any kind of wheat germ.


Fruit& Cream Oatmeal.
1 tablespoons non-dairy coffee creamer 2 tablespoons dried fruit.





No comments: